Charlene Leonard, ARNP
Pediatric Critical Care Nurse Practitioner
Phone: (352) 265-0462
Fax: (352) 265-0443
Office: PSB, Room 10-504
Charlene Leonard, ARNP is a Pediatric Critical Care Nurse Practitioner in the Division of Pediatric Critical Care. After obtaining her Bachelors in Nursing from the University of Florida in 1996, she continued her education and obtained her Masters for Pediatric Nurse Practitioner from Duke University in 2001. She received her post-masters certificate for Pediatric Critical Care Nurse Practitioner from Duke University in 2002. She serves as a clinical preceptor for several universities, an item writer for the pediatric acute care nurse practitioner certification exam and a reviewer for the pediatric section of Critical Care Nursing. She is an active member of the Society of Critical Care Medicine and is currently serving as the chair-elect of the section for pediatric APRNs, on the 2016-2019 Pediatric Current Concepts Curriculum planning committee as well as the Pediatric Critical Care Admission, Discharge and Triage Guideline task force expert panel.
Key Publications and Record
- Leonard, Charlene and Akhtar, Javed; Co-ingestion of methanol and nitromethane: using falsely elevated creatinine as indicator for methanol antidote use. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 2007;8:392-3.
- Continuous Bladder Irrigation chapter, AACN Procedure Manual for Pediatric Acute and Critical Care, published 04/26/2007
- Gupta D., Leonard C., and Smith T. (2012). Myocardial infarction in toddler with trisomy 18. Poster presentation at the 19thAnnual Pediatric Critical Care Colloqium. Abstract: Pediatric Critical Care Medicine November 2012 Vol 13 issue 6 p714 Gupta D., Leonard C., Smith T. Myocardial infarction in toddler with trisomy 18.
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine November 2012 Vol 13 issue 6 p715 Leonard C. and Smith T. Successful development and integration of pediatric critical care nurse practitioner program multidisciplinary, academic PICU with active fellowship program.
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine May 2014 Vol 15 issue 4 p 395 Leonard C. Does raising awareness of unplanned extubations decrease their occurrence?
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine May 2014 Vol 15 issue 4 p 398 Pandey R., Leonard C., Abu-Libdeh A., and Moran R. VP to vaginal shunt: a case report.
- Pediatric Critical Care MedicineDecember 15 Vol 43 Issue 12 p 303. Marante, A; Leonard, C. and Sikora, L. CNS recurrence of Langerhans cell histiocytosis requiring emergent decompressive craniectomy.
- Invited speaker, 42ndSociety of Critical Care Medicine Congress (2013, San Juan, Puerto Rico): “Care of the adult patient in the PICU setting.”
- National board exam committee member, 7 year term, National Pediatric Nursing Certification Board, acute care PNP exam section, 2010-2017
- SCCM abstract reviewer
- Chapter Editor, Elsevier Maternal-Child Nursing 5th edition 2015-1016. Chapter 34, Emergency care and Chapter 46, Cardiology.
- Leonard, Charlene Editor, PICU Essentials 2017: Atmosphere Apps. Now available for download in app stores.