Goals & Objectives
During your PICU rotation, you are expected to:
- Learn to recognize the presence or potential for critical illness in children.
- Learn to stabilize and to develop treatment plans for all medical patients admitted to PICU.
- Learn to assess and to develop supportive treatment plans for patients with major surgery or trauma admitted to PICU.
- Observe (and possibly participate in) basic invasive procedures that are sometimes necessary for critically ill children.
- Learn the basics of intensive care monitoring, assisted ventilation, and hemodynamic support.
- Learn the basic pathophysiologies and management strategies for common organ system derangements and admission diagnoses found in the PICU.
- Learn indications for PICU admission and how to disposition PICU patients.
- Gain experience applying pediatric advanced life support.
- Understand essential critical care concepts and skills sets tested on general pediatric boards.
- Learn correct interpretation of laboratory findings and use them to help guide patient management.